Friday, December 5, 2008

The Gym

Last Saturday I went with Christy, her niece, Tracie, and my friend from work, Paula, to the Gold’s Gym in South Orem. Paula came up with the idea that a kickboxing class would be fun. It was, at least up to the point that the instructor went up to the front and started jumping, kicking, and punching. At that point, it became work. Christy went to the pool and joined a class that was already started there. Tracie has been a dancer since birth, and she picked up the moves very quickly, and she is in very good shape so she was able to keep up well. Paula goes to the gym often, and has been to the class a few times, she did just fine. I think that I just embarrassed myself and stayed at the back of the studio. As people came to the class, I moved further back to try to stay behind everyone. I have been to a yoga class, and employed this same strategy for that class. I try not to stand out, but being the only guy in the class, and being the size of any three of the others kind of gives me away. I have been sore this whole week. On Sunday, I could not get down the stairs, and only one of my knees worked to help get me up them. I try to get to the gym 3 times a week, and I often meet that goal, but only in the summer, and only when Paula makes me go. My goal is to gain no weight over the holidays, and the gym has to be a major part of that. I have not been at all this week, and I use the excuse that I am just too busy, with my second job putting on some event almost every night, but in reality, my body may take months to recover from the kickboxing.

-Dan

7 comments:

4crazyboys said...

That kickboxing will really knock you into shape! After you go a few more times, it won't be so weird. It really is a lot of fun. I miss it dearly, and so does my body!

The Turkuman said...

Getting old sucks. Get used to it.

The Turkuman said...

The picture to the right is Oren Samuel. He is the grandson of Carl. Oren was "dressed" for Thanksgiving by his evil parents who obviously are raising a child who will be on the receiving end of some severe butt whoopings when he gets to school.

Hansens said...

OK Carl, "Turkuman" is somehow better than "Husband"?

Oren is cute although I'm not sure I would do that type of anything unless it was Halloween.

The Turkuman said...

It IS his HALLOWEEN picture I screwed up my narative. He is still going to get his butt kicked in school if they keep this up.

Hansens said...

True, but he'll be bigger then and speaking his mind.

Ranee said...

Keep on kickin', Dan!