Sunday, December 21, 2008

A bit of Understanding

I won't be heard saying that the last 3 or 4 years have been easy. Especially the last 2. Life has dealt us A LOT of blows as of late. It is interesting that through all of these things I am finally able to see a few reasons for why we have had some of these trials. I won't say that I am totally at peace with things and that my attitude is adjusted, because that would be a lie, but I am seeing a few things in a different light.
Three years ago, Dan and I felt strongly that we were needed by someone. We weren't sure what we could do, but we were very intently trying to figure out what we needed to do. We finally, through some very interesting experiences, agreed that the people that needed us were not ones that had been through a tragedy or natural disaster or something. These people were right under our nose. While still not understanding all of the reasons we called Dan's parents and told them that we felt that they should move back here to Utah and that we would help them get settled and they could stay with us until then. There weren't at the time any circumstances that we knew of, just a strong feeling. They felt it as well and moved here. Again I won't say that everything was wonderful and perfect during this time, two sets of adults and 4 young children trying to mesh two households is never easy, but we made it. It was during this time that I experienced strokes and just plain health issues, but I am thankful that my Mother In Law was here to help us through. She had been wondering the reasons why they had come here as well, but I think this helped her to understand.
My Mother In Law has suffered with bad knees for many years and has never had a way to get them taken care of. Since they have been here, we have been able to get them set up with the ability to get some of these things taken care of. She recently had her knee replaced and I got to and am still helping her through this process. Dan and I have finally received some understanding of why we were prompted to find who needed us. Dan has the experience and knowledge of how to make this possible that they did not have before, and I am one who has the ability to at least try to do what I need to to help and use the things which Dan was able to set up. It is a very peaceful feeling to finally see the "Fruits of Our Labors" in that my Mother In Law is doing better and my Father In Law has a job he enjoys. It has been a wonderful experience to go through this with her and see her feeling better.
I hope that things continue to improve for all of us, as we are all striving to do our best and help each other. After all, this is what life is all about isn't it?
-Christy

2 comments:

Ranee said...

I LOVE this post! Well said!

Shansen said...

Thanks for all the help and love from the whole family. I couldn't have gone thru this without your love and help. Next week, I am going to try making quilts again, emaling and maybe make a meal or two. My husband will like that. It is great to have a family that cares about me. Love mom