Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Christy told me to write a post so that people know I am still alive...

I was thinking about my children’s future and wondering if every generation looks at the world that their children will inherit and questions how they will be able to survive the society of the future. It seems as if the world is going broke, both financially and spiritually. I have to think that the parents of the 60’s generation spent most of their time shaking their collective heads. The technological advances amaze me, but the lack of morality disturbs me. I am not just talking about sexual morality, although that seems to be a major issue now, but about how we treat our fellow man. Much of the financial trouble facing our world is the result of people hurting other people for money. “Get rich or die trying” is the title of a rap cd, but it could be considered the Wall Street slogan. My religion teaches me to be industrious, prosperous, to live within my means, and to use any success that I experience to help others. A great example of this is my Father-In-Law. He has worked his whole life and has never shied away from anyone that he could help. One of our church leaders, Elder Uctdorf, said that business is a wonderful means of supporting ourselves and our families, and that business transactions should be such that they are mutually beneficial and profitable to all involved. Greed has evolved our financial system to the point that the government has to step in and restore checks, balances and oversight to make sure that the few are not taking unfair advantage of the many. We occasionally watch the game show Deal or No Deal. The one thing that that game show is built on is greed. People just can’t stop themselves from trying to get more money. Government run health care is needed because it takes the profit out of medical care. Anytime that one group of people profit from the death of a person, a moral issue is raised. Opponents of government care state that it is taking a person’s treatment out of the hands of the doctors and the patients, and put it in the hands of a bureaucracy. Medical decisions have been out of the hands of the patients and doctors; they have been in the hands of the profit-seeking insurance companies for a long time.

-Dan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh,I agree!! Whenever I watch TV, and see all the "our drug can make you healthy and happy" ads, I have to lump pharmaceutical companies in with HMO's. How sad is it when we allow drug pushers to advertise on TV??