Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dismal

I am looking out the window at the dismal, cloud covered scene. It reminds me that the arrival of winter is inevitable. I do not like the cold. It is a wonder that my marriage has survived for 19 years. Christy loves the cold. She would open the bedroom window in the winter if I would let her. I sometimes wear a hoodie to bed and wrap up in my blanket for warmth. She will lay on top of the covers. I think it is time to add another blanket to my side of the bed.

I worked doing stucco for eight years. It was a dirty job, and in the winter, it was cold and miserable. In the summer, it was hot and miserable. In the spring, it was wet and miserable. There were a couple of weeks in the fall that were nice. I miss the companionship of that work, or the camaraderie of my last job. I miss the Navy and the nights in port where you knew that someone had your back, no matter what happened. I miss the political discussions with the construction workers around the small stool or the big lunch table. My view was often not the most popular in the room, but everyone respected others opinions and their right to them. Now, I just talk to you, the internet.

I enjoy working with the public in my part-time job, most of the time. Sometimes they are a little tough to deal with, and I guess that is why there is a job there. I am often able to view the event that I am ushering, and get to work with a lot of fun people. We get a good variety of events, and the crowd is as different as the types of events. Variety truly is the spice of life.

4 comments:

Family Blog said...

haha! Dan, your comment made me laugh:

"I sometimes wear a hoodie to bed and wrap up in my blanket for warmth. She will lay on top of the covers. I think it is time to add another blanket to my side of the bed."

Ed's got an extra blanket on his side of the bed, and I frequently sleep on top of the blankets!

4crazyboys said...

Oh Dan,
I think it must run in those Golding genes. I have talked to Renae, Mike and they all say the same thing. Tobias has the same problem.

Ranee said...

Gotta' love variety! We definately think it's cool that you get to see so many events for free! It cracks me up that Christy loves the cold and you don't...Pete wants our house to be an icebox at night and I just freeze!

Unknown said...

I am a human heating device. Covers off and a cold pillow if you ask me. But the window open? Come on Christy, have a heart.