Thursday, November 20, 2008

Christmas

I hate Christmas. I know how bad that sounds, but I really hate Christmas. You can ask my family, they will back me up on this. Last Christmas I stayed home and sulked while my wife took the kids down to her mom’s for the traditional family breakfast. A few years ago, the Christmas tree ended up out on the front lawn about two weeks before Christmas. A red “X” adorned the front door of out home one year as a signal for Santa to stay away.

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against the celebration of the birth of Christ. It is the commercialization of it all is that drives me crazy. I have enough to worry about trying to keep the lights on and the family fed, I don’t need the stress of attempting to make each child feel special and that they were as good during the year as the kid down the block that gets the new Xbox every year, regardless of the fact that I know he has been a brat.

The Christmas season used to start the day after Thanksgiving, but that is just not good enough for Wal-Mart. The Christmas decorations go up before Halloween. I feel this cheapens the holiday. And really. how much deck the halls can we take. Christmas music between Halloween and New Years. UGH.

I say, sing some carols on Sunday, put up to tree on Christmas eve, and take it down Christmas day. Give one present to each child, get rid of Santa and return to the traditional Christmas celebration of years past. Read from Luke on Christmas Eve to make sure that the kids know what Christmas is about.

-Dan

PS – I have some of my Christmas lights up already, but it is only because I do not want to put them up when it is cold, and I will not turn them on until after Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dan,

I thought it was just me. I can't stand Christmas before Halloween. I can't stand that we have completely forgotten about Thanksgiving except for the sinful amount of food that is cooked served, half eaten and tossed away three days later.

How are you doing?

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, this off topic but.....

HOW 'BOUT THEM LAKERS!!!!

Family Blog said...

But Dan! Christmas is a season, and a season last 3 months!!! ; ) I always felt that I needed the extra time to get everything done BEFORE Thanksgiving, so I could enjoy the festivities of the season AFTER Thanksgiving.

It's a lot different now that my 6 kids are grown. I may yet join Ed was one of those Christmas Eve shoppers.