Thursday, October 30, 2008

Have We Turned In to Cats and Dogs?


Recently we added a new member to our household. Dan doesn't like me to call them members of the family, so they are "Household Members".
We have had Buddy, the dog, for almost 5 years. He is an established member of our household. Buddy was a long thought out decision. A couple of our children were extremely terrified of any kind of animal, and I admittedly love dogs. So Buddy was a means to an end for the kids, and it was the correct decision. They are no longer afraid. In fact, they love him. We moved thier fear into the house and made them face it. We added Tazzy for more reasons than a pet. He is the exterminator, however, we are all attached to him as well now. He is cute and fuzzy. Now that we have had Tazzy for almost 2 weeks, he and Buddy have learned to get a long. At least to tolerate each other. Buddy is older and has had the run of the house for years and has had to adjust to the new kitten that wants to run and play in all of Buddy's places. Tazzy has also had to learn that Buddy is the king and that there are certain things he can't do. While there has been some adjustment on everyone's part, and I mean all of us including the pets, the pets seem to have figured out how to just be happy and tolerate each others differences. I do have a reason for saying all of this, I promise.
Anyone who knows me at all knows that I like to know the reasons for why things happen. While I understand that sometimes there are no reasons to speak of, I can usually make some kind of analogy that explains it. Probably annoying to some, but that's who I am.
So here goes. If we can put a cat and dog together, natural enemies, then why can't we unite our country, our homes, our cities, etc. ? Right now I am especially upset at how we can't even get through an election without feeling that we have to pick a side. Why can't we just vote for WHO ? I would venture a guess that both some Republicans and some Democrats have good ideas and ideals, but we don't get to find out what many of those are, because we are too wound up in having to be one or the other. Why must we have to pick a side. Wasn't this country established with the idea that we could be free to make the decisions that we felt best about without fear of retaliation? I hate that we don't dare to put a sign in our yard because of fear. My husband has taken so much grief for putting an Obama08 sticker on his car. It is rediculous. Doesn't he have the right to have an opinion? It seems that no he doesn't because it's not the popular one for this area. This is REDICULOUS!! Watching the debates during this election has just made me mad. Not so much informed, just mad at the mudslinging and nothing else.
I once wrote a paper at school called "What Happened to the United States of America" We are not united, we are required it seems, to be either Republicans or Democrats. I for one am really sick of this attitude. I think that this country needs leaders and citizens that take the example that our little furry friends have shown us. Life is not all about being cats or dogs, it's about being friends and family. This is the only way to progress and make this earth a happy and safe place to live.
-Christy

3 comments:

shae said...

wow megan i loike the blog heres myne shaerock13.blogspot.com

Ranee said...

How truly interesting! I think your analogy fits well! It's SO important to vote! We should all definately excercise our wonderful right to do so!

Hansens said...

Hey Ranee,

We are locked out of your blog. Could you please unlock it so we can read yours? Thanks