Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas

Well, it's Christmas Eve for 2011. It has been another interesting year. We some how always end up having Christmas sneak up on us and we aren't ready for it. No matter how much we prepare it seems. It always seems to work out some how though. Every year both Dan and I spend several days and weeks worrying and fretting but all ends up well. This year my kids have done the wrapping. I give each one another ones gifts and they wrap them. It works out well and keeps me from endless wrapping. 

A few days ago one of Kyler's friends, a girl ;-) called him to ask if he could deliver a sub for Santa to some one.  He of course said yes. With all of his quirks, he is a very compassionate person. This was a very good experience for him. I went with him, as well as Jake and when we got there the woman who answered the door just sobbed and kept thanking us and saying, "You have no idea how much this means". I just told her that there are a lot of people in hard times this year and that this was their Christmas miracle and that it is OK to accept it and have a wonderful Christmas with her husband and kids. She seemed to accept this. As we were returning home, Kyler said "I feel like I'm going to cry." I told him it was OK, that he had been a part of some ones Christmas miracle and that it was good for him to see how much parents love their children and how bad they feel when they can't do everything they wish for them. Jake was very touched as well, he commented that their tree had no ornaments or presents and that this made him sad. He has been great this year especially to tell us that he really didn't need anything and that the things he really wants aren't that important if he doesn't get them. My boys really felt the true meaning of Christmas by doing this act of service. I am really proud of them. 

My girls, especially Megan have been cooking and dipping, etc for days. I haven't been feeling well for the last several days so they pretty much did it for me. Aubree has been pretty busy, so Megan has been doing it solo a lot. I think this has helped all of them learn a good lesson this year. 

Dan has been working 80 hour weeks since August. It really takes a toll on him, but he is so committed to taking care of his family and giving his kids whatever they need and what they have reasonable desires for that he pushes through. He recently was able to become part of a small co-op with another phenomenal photographer so he will now have regular access to a studio and all of the equipment that comes with it. I am so proud of him for chasing a dream and making something out of it. Not everyone appreciates his talent, but he really is a great photographer. This is very helpful that the other photographer has basically taken Dan under his wing and wants to help him be a success. He has the same name as Dan's brother, so our kids call him "Uncle Pete."

Today, we woke up and went to breakfast at my parents. It's an annual tradition that was a little different this year as we did it on Christmas Eve, but my parents prepare breakfast for all of us and we exchange gifts from mom and dad/grandma and grandpa there. Then this afternoon Dan's sister and her family came down from Idaho so we had dinner with them and Jim and Shirley and exchanged gifts. It was fun. We have eaten well today...LOL.

I am trying very hard to fight of a cold or sickness of some kind. I have been very lucky to have not gotten most of what has gone around. It's a good thing as I really can't deal with more sickness than I already have on a regular basis. I am trying hard to be hopeful and see the bright side. Some days are harder than others ;-) 

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and I will post again with my annual "year in review" next week. 

~Christy

No comments: