Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 Year in Review and a Decision

January 2011 brought a few things. There have been ups and downs. After taking off my sock and getting a sharp pain in my foot, followed by swelling and black and blueness, I went to the podiatrist and found out that I had broken my little toe as well as 2 bones in my foot. This made me go to the regular doc to find out why a simple thing like taking off my sock could do this to me. They did a dexascan and discovered that I have moderate to severe osteoporosis depending on where on my body it is and that I have probably had it most of my life. This is added to my already degenerating spine and bone spurs I have all over my spine. The good thing about this is that because of this discovery, the doc looked over some of my past scans and said that he believes I broke my neck and that no one ever found it because they were looking for signs of a stroke. They had no reason to be thinking I had brittle bones as I was only 33 when this happened. This really does go along with what I have been telling the docs for 5 years now . I told them there was something wrong in my neck on the first night, they didn't listen. This doc seems to think that it wasn't a horrible break but the location was crucial and the fact that I was put through pretty rigorous therapy without the knowledge of the injury was probably the cause of the second instance. It's all speculation, but it really does make a lot of sense and gives me a little validation. 

January also brought a promotion for Dan as he applied for a senior agent position and got the job. It has been a good thing, but is hard sometimes as the state has gone through several changes and many of them taking away resources from his department. 

February was fairly uneventful. 

In March our van finally died as we were expecting, so we had to find a different vehicle to drive. We were very lucky to have found our suburban and the people selling it were wonderful. They dropped the price immensely and we brought it home and it has been a very good vehicle for us. Only a couple of things have needed fixing and they are things you would expect for it's age and nothing major...(Knocking on wood). 

April brought one year after my surgery. I was pretty upset for a while that I didn't make the 100 pound mark, but I have come to realize that maybe I wasn't suppose to lose that much at once. 

May was a very hard month for the family and even more so for me. Our dog Buddy who had been sick for a while was put down. It was the humane thing to do, but it was and still is hard for me to do. He really was a lifeline for me and there is an empty space in our hearts where he belongs. Anyway, enough about that. May also brought some good things. The teachers and administration at the older kids school called me and suggested we get an IEP for Kyler. All people, including docs, have sort of come to the conclusion that Kyler is mildly autistic. They fixed things so he had special ed accommodations and a few other things and he has for the most part done a lot better. It also meant the end of the school year was near. Kyler did a lot of packets over the summer and only has a few now and is almost on track for graduation. We're keeping hope alive in regards to this.

June brought Aubree starting in cheer and fundraisers and practice, etc. Jake went again to football camp and loved it. 

July, we had a huge BBQ on the 4th. It's fun for us. We played Independence Day bingo. It was really fun and we had little dollar store prizes for winners and stuff. Other than that, the only other thing I can recall from July was Dan and I's 22nd anniversary. 

In August, Dan started a second job at Vivint. It's a pretty good job for a second one and he has been there 4 months and they seem to really like him. It looks like there is a lot a chance to advance in this job, so hopefully we will be announcing advancements soon ;-) August also brought the beginning of school. Kyler started his senior year, Megan her sophomore, Aubree 8th, and Jake 5th. Aubree was deeply involved in cheer and Jake in football. August =busy at our house. Megan was named the chief editor for the yearbook and has done a good job. Also, she finally got her driving permit :-0

September was pretty uneventful, other then Megan turning 16 and I was diagnosed and started medication again for depression...UGH!

October brought Dan's 40th birthday. He posted a great blog post on here then, it's a good read. 

November brought a few sort of scary things. In November Aubree started on a downhill spiral that happened quite fast and ended with her being diagnosed with pretty severe depression and the request for more testing. She really struggled badly and went through a suicidal and cutting phase. Sleepless nights and cry filled days filled much of November. We had a nice Thanksgiving here at our home though. 


This sort of brings me to the next thing. The decision that I have fought making for a LONG time. Be aware, that I did not make it lightly or without careful thought and consideration. I even asked advice from people I trust and respect. It is a decision I have made on my own and for myself and Dan and my kids. It is better to have a mother with a clear head and heart than one who is conflicted all of the time. I know you will all be upset over this, but I had to do it for myself. After I finally decided, I have felt a HUGE weight lifted. 

My "Wizard", ( a neuro-psychologist) that I see a lot taught me this exercise a long time ago that really seems to work. I had forgotten about it to some extent, but today when I saw him he asked me to do it again. What he said was when I am conflicted about what to do or how I feel about something I should sit in a quiet place and close my eyes and think about whatever or whoever the confliction is. If I close my eyes and feel peace thinking about it, then it is probably something I should fight for or consider a good thing, but if when I close my eyes it upsets me in any way, it is probably not such a good thing. The silence and the eyes closed helps ones conscience work better. It also takes away distraction and heightens your other senses. ( one reason you should close your eyes when you pray) So today, as I was trying to work through some of my conflictions I discovered that whenever I think about church it makes me nervous and uncomfortable. Basically, Wizard said he saw a complete change in my demeanor when I thought about church. A tenseness. Now don't get me wrong, he would never tell me what to do and he is a very good man who is a member of the LDS church and is very dedicated, all he did was observe me. I thought about this and discussed it with him for a bit and when all was said and done, what I realized is that I literally force myself to go and come home unhappy and unfulfilled every Sunday. Not to mention the physical sickness I come home with most of the time. I literally get a headache and sometimes more by going.  Church is supposed to be a place where you get peace and feel better when you go. I don't. I feel alone and apart and pitied and judged. None of which have any valid reason for happening, but they do. I don't even think people know they're doing it. Now I am not putting blame on anyone but myself. The thing is, if it is doing this to me, there is no reason for me to be going. I know the gospel to be true and I believe that I live in a manner pleasing to God.  I feel that I can be a better wife and mother and good person in general  by taking myself out of this situation. I will no longer be attending church, at least not on a regular basis. I will stay home and spend time with my husband. Our kids will be given their choice and will be supported in whatever choice they make regarding attending. I however will not be going and would hope that those people who know me will respect my decision and know that I am respecting them by stepping away. I would hope that I would be released from any positions I am currently in and be allowed to live my life and Dan and our family allowed to live theirs as well. I love and respect so many people and all I am asking is the same respect in return. At least some of our kids love church and I would hope that they will be shown the same love and respect now without us attending. This doesn't mean we will never be back, just for now is all.

Please know this was not an easy decision, but I have to take care of myself and my family. Right now it needs to be this way. 

~Christy


9 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Would it help to try another ward? Maybe it's us.

*hugs*

Ranee said...

Christy~ I love you! I know that the pain and the very difficult circumstances that you've been living with, are very real. I know you have a testimony too. The only important thing is your relationship with your God, your Savior, your husband and your children. I pray that you will read your scriptures, stay close to the Lord, and continue your worship in a way that will allow healing for you and yours. I pray that Christ's Atonement will provide refuge for you, from your difficulties, and very real hardships,and that you will be able to feel your Father in Heaven's love for you, strongly. I really do pray that things get better for you! =) Please know that we love you and your family!
Love,
Ranee =)

Hansens said...

I have thought about another ward, but honestly it's just a general attitude. Not really many in particular. I just can't be a part of the attitude. It makes me feel like a terrible person. I love you Donna!

A Few Tacos Shy... said...

The most important thing is for you to do what is best for yourself and your family. Know you are loved.

Rebecca Adams said...

Sorry about the hard things that have happened to you and your family this year, but there are also good things that have happened as well. I, too, sometimes feel like I'm being judged at church. My reason is that I have infertility and haven't been able to have kids. I've been married for 5 1/2 years now and still no sign of children coming. I get a little sad seeing other younger couples with 2, 3, or 4+ kids. I always get nervous/sad (I really can't describe the feeling) when I see other pregnant ladies. It hurts me. Sometimes I think I feel better and my weeks go better when I don't go to church. My husband and I haven't been the best with going to church since we moved to the ward back in February. Part of the reason is that I haven't felt really comfortable, but another reason is that we don't really like the 1-4pm time. (haha!) I'm excited to have the 9am time again! :) I think everyone has times where they think they are judged, even if it isn't true. There are times when it seems others try to brag about themselves just to say "Ha! I'm better than you!" A lot of us compare ourselves with others and think our lives are hard while it seems others have life so easy (I do this all the time!) It's been fun getting to know you better during choir practice, and I hope everything will get better for you eventually. Just know that you aren't alone in your struggles.

Anonymous said...

I've been in your spot - and I completely understand it. There were several years where I didn't go to church after we moved to Utah, and for a lot of the same reasons as you and Rebecca have said. I struggle with it horrible, even now that we go regularly, because of my panic disorder. The Lord understands where you are and what you are going through, and He knows your heart and what you believe.

I agree with Donna, too - and I've done it a time or two - pick any building and show up at 9 or 11. Don't take anyone with you and sneak into the back row for sacrament meeting. That way you don't have to 'answer' to anyone there, but you'll still get to hear the word of God and maybe without that stress you'll even feel a little of that comforting spirit you've been missing. You can always come up and go with me! We could lean on each other :)

Family Blog said...

I'm with Wendy, Christy. Let me know if you want company sometime, and I'll go with you to a random ward.

Heck, that'd be a bit of an adventure. lol

BA said...

There are many available ways to study the Sunday School and Relief Society/Priesthood lessons by reading them and finding other lessons online about them. LDSGospeldoctrine.net has some great lessons that go with the Sunday School manual.
There is a sacrament meeting service on Channel 11.2 or a BYU station, and many devotionals and scripture study discussions to listen to. You could ask your bishop for arrangements for the sacrament to be brought to you. You could attend the temple weekly to feel our Heavenly Father's inspiration and guidance in your life.
There are many ways to worship and learn about our Heavenly Father and His will.
You are a very special daughter of God and He has chosen you to handle these earthly problems. Keep your testimony and work to gain more understanding and knowledge of Him.
I love you Christy, just from reading your blog and facebook. I am amazed at the problems you suffer and how well you handle each of them.
Smile. Love, Betty Ann

Hansens said...

I honestly thought I would not get much support with this. I'm trying to see the strong person some of you see, just not there yet. It means a lot to have support.