Monday, March 22, 2010

The week of liquid life

Today I am starting my week long liquid diet. I know that sounds crazy, but it's what I have to do. Required for my surgery. So far, it's been OK. I can chew gum and drink sugar free stuff. Also, I get to have 4 protein shakes a day. So really I'm not starving. I am also allowed sugar free Popsicles and jello. This way it feels like I'm eating something of substance. I have been preparing myself for this for a while by having only protein drink for at least one, sometimes two meals a day. I found that I can do this, I just have to have the will power. I am very determined to get this surgery, so I will do what is required. I have new problems popping up on close to a weekly basis. This surgery will hopefully help most of those things. I am absolutely aware that is won't solve my problems with my neck and spine, but I am trying to solve, or at least help, everything I can. It's a vicious cycle with weight. Add other things to it and it makes it almost impossible to lose any. I have to exercise to lose weight, but can't because of my neck and spine. Which in turn makes it so I can't lose, and really gain. This surgery is giving me hope. Something I haven't had much of for a very long time. Lets just hope that the happenings over the weekend don't postpone it.
So, two Sundays ago I started coughing uncontrollably. I really couldn't breath. I didn't sleep at all Sunday night because every time I laid down I would cough and choke. Wasn't doing well sitting up either. I was sure I had caught something from the guy who sat behind me in church and coughed all over me. Not good 2 weeks before surgery. I went to the doc, he gave me some stuff, then I felt a lot better Tuesday. So then this last Saturday I really started having trouble again. No sleep Saturday night. Finally on Sunday when I got really scared I decided to go to the insta care where I walked in and the lady said, "Your lips are blue, we need to get you in immediately." I didn't know my lips were blue, but OK. My stats were at 54. They gave me a breathing treatment really quick and I was told if my stats didn't improve drastically I was going in the hospital. GREAT!! Just what I need! Anyway, they did improve, they gave me one more treatment, then sent me home with a handful of inhalers and stuff and meds. I am currently waiting word from the surgeon whether this is going to affect things or not.
What we figured out is that I had an allergic reaction the the paint primer called KILZ, that Dan used while he's been painting for the last couple of weeks. This caused a major Asthma attack, that almost literally killed me. I told Dan they named that primer correctly. He has stopped painting for now, but will continue at a later date when I am over all of this. These are the major reasons I need this surgery. Hopefully it will fix my immune system enough to get through things like this.
Anyway, I am hopeful that things will be fine and go as planned. All I can do is hope. Wish me luck that me and my family make it through this week :-) Life is changing drastically, and hopefully for the better.
~Christy
PS- check the comments, things have changed!!

3 comments:

Hansens said...

Looks like my week of liquid life won't be this week, it will be starting on April 5th. UGH, this darn asthma attack is really starting to TICK ME OFF!! Surgery will now be on April 12th, unless something else happends to change it :-(

PJ said...

That really stinks!
Hopefully nothing else will come up to postpone it again.

Christensen's said...

Good luck! I hope that all goes well when you do have the surgery. At least you will be able to enjoy a little Easter candy before you begin week of liquids :) I don't know if I could do it. We will keep you in our prayers!